Energy Collective blog power policy climate - the conversation happens here

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Global Warming Deniers...Denied.

Remember that number global warming deniers throw around -- those 500 scientists that have supposedly signed onto a letter denying the existence of anthropogenic climate change? 500. It's a number you hear on the nightly news near the end of many stories on climate change, and it's also a number invented by the Heartland Institute, one of Washington's most conservative thinktanks.

As it turns out, that the number is a fabrication. Our friends over at DeSmogBlog sent questionnaires to each signer, and received back some interesting quotes. Here's a sampling of the responses they got:

I am very shocked to see my name in the list of "500 Scientists with Documented Doubts of Man-Made Global Warming Scares". Because none of my research publications has ever indicated that the global warming is not as a consequence of anthropogenic greenhouse gases, I view that the inclusion of my name in such list without my permission or consensus has damaged my professional reputation as an atmospheric scientist."

Dr. Ming Cai, Associate Professor, Department of Meteorology, Florida State University.
They have taken our ice core research in Wyoming and twisted it to meet their own agenda. This is not science."

Dr. Paul F. Schuster, Hydrologist, US Geological Survey

I am horrified to find my name on such a list. I have spent the last 20 years arguing the opposite."



Dr. David Sugden. Professor of Geography, University of Edinburgh

I have NO doubts ..the recent changes in global climate ARE man-induced. I insist that you immediately remove my name from this list since I did not give you permission to put it there."



Dr. Gregory Cutter, Professor, Department of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Old Dominion University

The list of rejections goes on and on, exposing deniers for who they really are -- pawns of the fossil fuel industry, and fabricators. Next time somebody asks you about the "500 scientists who do not believe global warming is real," tell them the real story: That youth are leading the way to a safe climate -- that we are building an unstoppable movement more powerful than the special interests.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some more facts for you to dispute.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OTc1MzdjOWEwMWUyNGMwYzkxMjMzZWIzMjE5NDc3MGQ=


mmainello

Anonymous said...

I know you guys like to ignore people that disagree with you or to call us names, but why do you want to waste money that could go to medical research or alternative fuels or a myriad of other areas that need real attention.

Here are two more articles disputing Global Warming.

mmainello

http://www.investors.com/editorial/editorialcontent.asp?secid=1501&status=article&id=294880707561262

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/05/are_global_warmists_pulling_a.html

Anonymous said...

Holy cow anonymous! You can see the political agenda in the address of those links! Also they are both editorials. Do you know what editorials are? I'm not calling you guys names, I just think you should think a little bit.

Anonymous said...

Bill, this site is an editorial site, only articles supporting the writer are presented.

Anyway, did you read the articles and the links in the articles. I don't expect Daily Kos to present articles that are Pro-Bush, but I will read what people write and reference to see if they are providing facts or opinion.

mmainello

Anonymous said...

More proof that man made global warming is a farce -- nothing more than a very effective stump for the liberals to raise taxes.

Click here for a dose of reality

See you in the funny papers,

RJ

Nabeel said...

they deny it because they are stupid or ignorant, i dunno, but one of the above.

Unknown said...

@Nabeel

Perhaps they deny it because they believe in real science and not media hype.

I am a climate physist and I am far from convinced on the science thus far.